Home > Sharing Economy, implementation and spread of social innovation
17 May 2017
Sharing Economy, implementation and spread of social innovation
The sharing economy is a concept that is now part of everybody's everyday life, but can we call it social innovative?
Social innovation stands out for the forms of cooperation and collaboration that it creates to cope with the social needs, which are approached in a more effective way compered to traditional approaches. In the elaboration of the Third Report prepared by Ceriis, the Center for Social Innovation Studies supported by ItaliaCamp Foundation (which you can download for free at this link), researchers have analyzed the dynamics between these two phenomena. The sample study, made up of 578 initiatives, highlighted how much sharing economy is a broad, pervasive phenomenon that cannot be identified in a single social innovative context, but rather as a transversal phenomenon. For this reason, it has been decided to treat it as a authentic way to implement and spread socially innovative projects.
From the analysis of the initiatives that part of the Ceriis’s Report, it is evident that in the field of social innovation we are in a fertile ground for the sharing economy mode, with about 46% of the sample that uses it. On the other side, 54% of the sample does not use any sharing economy mode. Therefore, is by a small percentage higher the part of social innovation that does not use the sharing model. This seems to be due to the nature of the areas and the fact that some of them still have no operating modes that allow the application of this sharing system. Consequently, the analysis shows that sharing economy, at least where it is used to respond to real and significant social needs, is a way to make social innovation.